Eight years ago, I made a decision to join the Army and become a soldier in the Utah National Guard. I did this just six months before the September 11th 2001 attacks. When I joined with an eight year commitment, I had no expectation to ever be deployed (since the last time my St George unit was deployed was during the Korean War) to combat. Well, we all know that the world has changed drastically since then and I was deployed to combat. And now the deadline for my enlistment is up.
After countless conversation and discussion with Alicia and our Heavenly Father in prayer, Alicia and I have decided that I will reenlist for an additional three years. This has been one of the most difficult decisions we have ever made. We do want to share with you briefly some of the reasons we came to this decision:
First of all you need to know that I love being a Soldier. Serving my country and wearing the uniform of the US Army has been a treasured experience that has made me what I am today. I couldn't count the number of lessons and experiences that I have been through as a Soldier that have made me a better person.
Second, the Army has really helped our family financially. It has helped Alicia and I live, and me complete half of my college education. As you all know, the financial future of this country is pretty unstable and having the Army is a helpful cushion to fall back on.
Finally, we both spent a lot of time discussing the pros and cons then we finally took it to the Lord for assistance. We now feel that reenlisting is the best thing for us at this time in our lives. It is NOT my intention to make a career out of the Army and my plan is to get out at the end of this three year reenlistment.
"45 Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church.
46 And they were doing that which they felt was the duty which they owed to their God; for the Lord had said unto them ... ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies.
47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion."
The Book of Mormon; Alma 43:45-47
4 comments:
Good for you Dane. Please know you both will be in our prayers especially at a time when there is so much going on overseas. Good luck Alicia. Be strong and if you are lucky, he will be out before they are deployed again. We love you guys and will see you before too much longer.
WOW. It is quite the decision to make, however, knowing what God wants you to do & doing it is the best feeling. We hope it all goes really well for you! Loved your earlier post about Key West. 8 years ago we drove the keys all the way to Key West. It was a fun thing to do. Congratulations on being able to fly & loving what you do.
I am proud to know you guys. I know this is a tough decision for you to make. And I know that if you feel good about it, then it is the right decision.
The proudest day of your brother's life was the day he spent with you on the base in Alabama.
Hooooahhhh!!!!!
Thanks for your service. I decided to go back into the navy after my mission as a reservist and it helped us out a lot in our first two years of marriage. I ended up getting out in 2006 but the work over the summer,the little bit of pay each month and especially the base privelages helped us to get by during tight times. It is good to see that you and your beautiful wife are doing well in life.
Post a Comment